My own privilege is significantly more abundant than that of so many others, and I felt a barrier between me and engaging in online Web 2.0 communities.
One of my bigger conundrums swirls around the following thought: as nonprofits, we are looking to engage people across the privilege spectrum.
- How can we use the Web to do this?
- How can we change the Web to do this better?
- How can we make sure that people poor in internet privilege (not just skills) don’t get poorer?
- How can people lacking technology resources partake?
- Are the “oh, just go to the library” strategies feasible? Can they fully partake?
- What specifically does fully partaking entail, and how does it impact people if they cannot?
I guess my hope is that with this blog, I can at very least work up some strategies and solutions from my own experiences, and at most work up some conversation, collaboration, and change.