One thing that went well: This week was “The Week of the Spreadsheet,” and I think it went well. I liked that I demonstrated what spreadsheets could do first (in daily mini-demos) rather than focusing on how to find Excel and how to save your document – it made many of the students curious, and a few even asked if they could make their own soon (Why yes! So glad you asked!). I also liked that all of the instructions were computerized. I had them download and print Word documents of instructions from my website (mwahaha, high expectations), and they did great. I also liked the fact that they all had the instructions and I wasn’t trying to synchronize a class of 16 on each step, (“Ok, has everybody found Excel? No? What about now? Ok. Now, click in the first box.” – that would have been a nightmare).
One thing to improve: In short, instructions. Explanation-wise, I never made it very clear that the reason we were asking each other questions and writing down the answers in grids was so that we could enter that information into our spreadsheets. It was pretty easy to clarify, but whoops, it was an avoidable hiccup. Format-wise, a quick audio/visual presentation would have been easier for some of the students with lower computer skills. I could have made such a thing with Jing – it just would have taken a long time to make, mostly due to my inexperience. The Word docs served their purpose and it was handy that they could print, but I should really give upgrading to video a try!
One surprise: I worked with a student during break, one of the ladies who’d scored surprisingly low on the quiz yesterday. When we were finished, I went to get my water bottle out of my tote bag, and inside it I discovered a plastic shopping bag with three apples in it that I definitely hadn’t brought with me. They were from a couple of other ladies in the class, they said from the Amish market. Delicious. And now I can say that I’ve been appled.